- Created: Wednesday, 03 September 2014 21:17
Our first practice of the year will be on Wednesday, September 10th at 6.00pm at Beckenham Baptist Church.
We welcome new members and please contact us to arrange for your children aged 7 -11 and young people 11- 17 to come along and join in a practice - there are no auditions.
Our Annual General Meeting will be held on Wednesday September 17th 7.00-7.30pm at the church.
All are welcome.
Please note that the meeting takes place in the latter part of the rehearsal, to enable parents to attend.
We would welcome new committee members, and even if you don’t wish to join the committee, please do come along to the meeting. Your support is appreciated.
BJC Parents are invited to sing with Youth Voices at their concert on October 15th (from7.20pm). Rehearsals are on Wednesday October 1st. & 8th from 7.15-7.40pm.
The first concert of term is on Wednesday November 26th at 6.30pm.
Please see What's On for a list of planned concerts and events for 2014 and 2015.
- Created: Wednesday, 03 September 2014 20:57
The Bromley Arts Council - to which our choirs are affiliated - invited us to sing at the Ripley Arts Centre Garden Party during the holidays. Thanks to the singers who were able to attend - and the parents who joined in and provided our support and transport. The weather was fine and our "cut-down" choir sounded fantastic! Some solos were sung for the first time to an audience who really appreciated the energy and accuracy of the singing. Some photo's to follow when we are back in the new term and can catch up with each other to exchange them!
- Created: Sunday, 11 May 2014 20:46
Singing in the Rain! (almost)
From John Webber:
- Created: Saturday, 19 July 2014 20:08
As we return from the Summer break, here is a word from Elizabeth, Choir Chair:
- Created: Monday, 10 March 2014 10:09
A lovely concert in a wonderful building - at Holy Trinity Beckenham, Saturday 8th March 2014
Well done to Beckenham Junior Choir and Beckenham Youth Voices in the concert at Holy Trinity! The singing was excellent and the instrumentalists did very well, too. It is a lovely venue for us and we ought to go back some time. It was good to see so many parents coming forward to take part in a couple of songs."
Here are some photographs of the concert by Julian Ma
Thanks to Julian for covering the concert for us, and to the many parents and friends whose support we could not do without!
- Created: Monday, 07 July 2014 11:18
"I had a wonderful evening at our anniversary concert and could see that
everyone else was having a good time. The Choirs sang beautifully and with
enthusiasm. Everyone behaved perfectly and just wanted to do well. Thanks
to the people who organised aspects of the event and to all of you for
contributing to the party.
What a lovely cake (or two!).
Thank you all SO MUCH for the presents, which I really was not expecting! I
have vouchers for my favourite eating place and an album of messages and
names to reassure.....and another album with photos of the two Choirs over
I am now looking forward to the photographs of last night itself!
I haven't mentioned names of people, but there are lots and lots of you and
I want to be fair to everyone.
A brilliant day and it will be good to meet up for the picnic.
Love and good wishes.....and thank you all again,
Photo's above by Christina Edwards and Elizabeth Beyroud
Here is a link to an album of some of the photographs taken by Chistina Edwards Remember to enter your photograph password when prompted.
More photographs and an extended article to come.....
- Created: Wednesday, 05 March 2014 16:59
As part of the "Arts at St. George's" programme of concerts and performances for the Beckenham community, the junior choir performed a lovely set of songs on Saturday 3rd February in the parish church in Beckenham High Street. The audience of choir parents and supporters was joined by parishioners, Saturday shoppers and even a party of Green-Chain-Walk ramblers visiting the church, who decided to stay and watch the performance and by all accounts were very impressed!
There is a lovely gallery of photographs by Julian Ma, of the concert here
- Created: Tuesday, 24 June 2014 09:12
John Webber celebrated 50 years as a working musician on Saturday 21st June with a splendid concert at St. John's Dulwich. A hugely enjoyable concert at which the choirs sang beautifully. Following the concert, John thanked the choirs for their efforts in creating a truly memorable event!
"Please convey my sincere thanks to the Choirs for the wonderful singing on Saturday at St. John’s, East Dulwich. It was a very special evening for me and I was touched by the sheer quantity of friends around me to celebrate 50 years of music together with people that I have known. Thanks also for the flowers!" John Webber
"It was a privilege and pleasure to take part in John's 50th anniversary "spectacular" and I thoroughly enjoyed the chance to listen to the other groups. I particularly enjoyed John's "Wedding at Troldhaugen" on the piano - one of my favourites. Roy and I both agreed that the Junior Choir was sensational. He said he could hear every word from the back of the church! Please pass on congratulations to all concerned." Margaret Hodgson of Elm Singers
"I thought the junior choir sounded lovely and they were so enthusiastic. I remembered singing in your (first?) junior choir. It made me think - like me you'll have mentored generations of young musicians singing with you in junior choir, growing up and having their own children, rushing to choir practice in between feeding baby times, and then a bit later on I'm sure, sending their children to junior choir to start the cycle again. What a lovely legacy." Mary Smith - Former member of Beckenham Junior Choir
"Just to add my voice to the general chorus (ha!) - it was a great evening, both the concert and the after-party, and lovely to have a chance to pay tribute to all John's hard work and achievement over the years." Jane Kimber
Photographs by kind permission and copyright of Phil Gammon
More photographs by Phil Gammon here - please enter your choir photo password to see them.
- Created: Monday, 02 December 2013 09:16
A fabulous concert at St.John's Norwood
St. John's church in Upper Norwood hosted the Jubilate choir with a concert on Saturday 30th November. The choirs are honoured to have been invited to join a large ensemble of singers and musicians to perform 3 carol settings by John Rutter with the Jubilate choir, and to perform a beautiful set of songs and solo pieces in their own right. A large audience enjoyed the excellent solos and group pieces in the first half of the concert, then at the end of a long, long day, some superb singing gave a moving and memorable rendition of the three Christmas carols.
You can see a small phone-recorded clip of the concert for yourselves here:
(remember to enter your choir password when prompted)
"The Choirs did EVER so well. We had a wonderful turn out and I was so pleased to find a moment to speak to several parents, for once! Our young singers excelled themselves for three reasons:
1. The acoustics were amazing;
2. The building itself - one of the largest Anglican churches in South London;
3. The other musicians were really good and everyone tried hard to fit the occasion.....and succeeded!
So, well done to everyone.....there were lots and lots of lovely comments and I was very proud of you all!
Many thanks to the Mums and Dads who assisted behind the scenes today; some of you sang, some helped in various other ways (sound system, moving choir, sitting with the Choir, etc.). This support made a big difference!"
More Articles ...
- Youth Voices in Concert at St. George's Beckenham
- Happy 20th Birthday to Beckenham Junior Choir!
- 2010 to the present
- Seaside Concert at Broadstairs!
- Our Summer Concert Sunday 9th June 2013
- Spring Charity Concert at St. Barnabas
- Coffee concert at St. George's Beckenham
- Youth Voices informal concert
- Evensong at Southwark Cathedral
- Winter Concert at Elmers End
- Carols for Christmas!
- Winter Concert with Balgowan !
- Youth Voices Concert 17th October
- Songs of London Town
- Singing for the Olympic Torch
- A Fanfare for Penge and West Beckenham!
- Concert at Woodside 19th May
- A Brief Look Through The Archives
- Spring concerts 2012
- Our Autumn Concert in West Wickham
- Beckenham's Night of Honour
- Youth Voices in concert October 12th
- Well Done To Everyone For A Wonderful Christmas Concert!
- Young Beckenham In Song 2
- A lively Workshop enjoyed by all!
- Concert at Rookstone Residential Home
- Youth Voices Concert at Elm Road Church
- Concert in the Bandstand
- Concert at Broadstairs May 22nd 2010
- Our Concert at Broadstairs May 22nd 2010
- Our Concert at St. James's North Cray
- Our Concert at St Edmund's Beckenham 17th January 2010
- Our new PA system
- Photo's of our Summer Concert
- Our Concert at Emmanuel URC West Wickham Summer 2009
- End of term picnic
- Christmas with the Blackheath Choir 2008
- The Second Beckenham's Famous Concert 2008
- Happy 15th Birthday October 2008 - an update...
- Previous choir pianists and musicians
- What we have sung
- The Choir visits Hither Green March 2009
- Our 15th birthday in October 2008!
- The Nineties
- The Noughties